Date:      Thu, 05 Sep 1996 22:53:09 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        dlr@smtpmail.viasoft.com
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Free BSD 2.1.5

dlr@smtpmail.viasoft.com wrote:

>      Is there a safe way to upgrade to Free BSD 2.1.5 from 2.1.  Or if
>      there is not a safe way to do it, what directory should I make sure to
>      backup.  i.e., \etc, \home.
>
>      Thanks,
>
>      david richardson

I did the upgrade several times, For several reasons.
To test the upgrade process, To test tape backups (ft/lft), knowledge
etc, etc, ..., ....
All went well!
In fact all went super!

The upgrades go well, Backup your /etc directory, Although the
upgrade will do it as well, But back it up yourself anyways!

You'll need to take notes on the files it can't upgrade and do
this manually, This envolves merging your backed up /etc with the
new one!

But just in case, Backup all valuables!

Personally, I always choose to do fresh installs for the final
install though.. :)
I then view the old setup files on one system and fixup the
new system! Works all to well, I learn something new each time, My
system design improves each time, It gets rid of my previous blunders.
So to me this outweighs all other options/shortcuts!

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848