Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 20:02:53 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Report from LinuxWorld Expo

Just spent a rather wild day at the LinuxWorld Expo show. It's bigger
this year -- at least twice the show floor space -- but, alas, only two
booths and NO conference sessions were devoted to anything BSD-ish. One
of the booths was BSDi's, which was huge -- but also a bit corporate and
sterile, despite the presence of two "daemon babes" who were posing for
pictures with passers by. It must have cost a bundle, but the austere
booth didn't attract very much foot traffic. I think that the old booth,
while it was a bit cramped, was more down-to-earth and friendly.

NetBSD had a booth in the .org pavilion and was hawking CD-ROMs. It was
good to see them there, since the BSDs had *no* presence in that section
last year.

For some reason, Jordan didn't show up for the "Penguin Bowl" quiz show,
even though he was listed as a participant. (In fact, I haven't seen him
at the conference at all.... Is he OK?) So, Nick Petreley, seeing me in a
pair of daemon horns, tapped me as a substitute, sitting me down right
next to Linus on a team which also included Rick Moen and Chris De Bono.
We cleaned up, utterly trouncing the opposing team by a margin of several
THOUSAND points. All the team members took home tropies, which were
large, golden, handblown glass penguins. (I'm thinking about making a
pair of little red horns for mine.)

In the evening, IBM hosted a crowded and very loud reception, with good
food and a completely open bar (which must have cost them a fortune).
They're clearly courting the Linuxoid community in a very serious way....
I certainly hope that this does not meant that IBM is exclusively on the
Linux bandwagon and unwilling to work with the BSDs. (Yes, they did
acquire Whistle, but don't seem to be publicizing the fact that it has
"BSD Inside.")

More reports as the show progresses. There doesn't seem to be a "BSD
BOF," as there was last year.... If anyone who's at the show wants to
instigate one, drop me a line.

--Brett Glass