Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 2010 23:54:13 +0100
From:      Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird build errors only on 3rd core of quad core CPU

I am suspecting a broken CPU, but am not sure.

These commands:
cd /usr/ports/sysutils/hal
cpuset -c -l 2 make

Will always result in errors, for example this one:

gmake: *** No rule to make target `@MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE@', needed by
`config.h.in'.  Stop.
*** Error code 1

Sometimes the error occurs in a different place. When I check the input files,
they are indeed broken. Gcc stops because of syntax errors for example.

The configure process always completes, but apparently it creates broken
files. When I run make on any other core, it always completes successfully:
cpuset -c -l 0,1,3 make

I've checked with script that the output of the build process is exactly the
same, up until the error occurs. I've also tried to run cpuburn on that core,
but it didn't find any problem. It's really weird that system is otherwise
very stable.

What do you guys think the problem is?

CPU is AMD Athlon II X4 620. Running FreeBSD 8-STABLE/amd64. I've also
tried -CURRENT, but it didn't help.

Thanks!

--
Pieter