Date:               Tue, 9 Jul 1996 21:17:29 +0000
From:      "Franz Hollerer" <eeg@telecom.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:         problems with network/nfs

Hi,

I have problems with my network and I hope that someone
can help me:

*) NFS
I have a network with 2 Linux-PC's and 2 FreeBSD-PC's.
One FreeBSD-PC acts as server. On this server I have exported
the root filesystem.
My problem is that copying files from Linux to FreeBSD
is very time consuming: 10min for 8MB.
During copying the harddist of the FreeBSD-server
makes a terrible noise.

All other directions (Linux to Linux, FreeBSD to FreeBSD and
FreeBSD to Linux) work fine.

I have tried out different rsize and wsize, but that did not
solve the problem.

*) Netscape
Usually I start XFree86 on my FreeBSD.
Then I make a telnet to Linux.
There I start dip to establish a connection to our internet provider.
Then I start netscape.
After this netscape takes very long to open some windows.
I can also see on an ethernet hub, that many collisions occur on
the net.

Any help welcome.

Thanks,

Franz Hollerer