Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 1995 17:32:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Oct 20 snap install...

On Wed, 25 Oct 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Fine, After I figured out that I had to enable the host adapter BIOS on
> > my Adaptec 1542C, booteasy allowed me to select the second disk for
> > booting.  However, the kernel was convinced that it was booting from sd1,
> > not sd0 and thus paniced when it tried to mount its root filesystem.
>
> Hmmmmm.  That's interesting.  Did you see both wd0 and sd0 in the
> disks menu when you were installing it?  Just curious, 'cause I've not
> had the chance to test that particular scenario before.

Yes.  I only selected sd0 for the install, and I did it "express".

> Not enough room to document them there..  We're at the wall for bytes
> as it is.. :-(

:(

I'm not a kernel hacker, but is there any chance some of their
functionality could be added/moved to userconfig.  If not, possible a
little documentation could go there.  It would be better than none.

> > * Can I set things up so I can boot without typing -r every time?
>
> You could re-write your bootblocks with an implicit assumption of
> sd1, I guess.

You mean sd0?  Its the kernel is looking for the root on sd1, it *should*
look on sd0.

> Still, I have no idea why this thing thinks it's sd1!
> That makes simply *no sense* for a drive 0 on your Adaptec!  It's not
> like the IDE drive is supposed to bump the SCSI drive count! :-)

It (correctly) comes up as sd0 in the probe.

> It undoes everything, I'm afraid.  I could make a more intelligent
> undo, but that's going to have to wait for 2.2.. :-(

Then in the meantime it should bounce the user back to the beginning
menu.  As I said, I don't recall where I got bounced, but it wasn't
somewhere appropriate.

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============