Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 00:10:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/6741: libc: printf() causes errno is set to 2

The following reply was made to PR bin/6741; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To: Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 17:07:53 +1000

 On Monday, 25th May 1998, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

 >On Mon, May 25, 1998 at 03:40:09PM +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
 >> In case you are curious, the errno=2 comes from malloc() checking for
 >> the existance of /etc/malloc.conf.
 >
 >Why then it is not set to 2 when I use fprintf(stderr, ...) or compile
 >with libc_r?

 The luck of the draw?  I think you would learn a lot about the internals
 of libc by tracking this down yourself.  I don't know the answer.  But
 I don't need to know the answer since it is not a problem for errno to
 change (or not change) for no reason.  Errno has meaning only when a
 system call has failed, or when one of a few library routines that are
 documented to set errno has failed.

 Stephen.