Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 00:11:28 -0400
From:      Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Mark asks: Can anyone send me mcopy?

Hi Giorgos!

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> On 2002-04-22 04:38, Mark Filipak wrote:
> > I **can't** believe this. Is this for real?
> >
> > I ask someone, anyone, to simply send me mcopy. No one sends me mcopy.
> > Instead many people preach at me.
> >
> > What is wrong with this picture?
>
> There are many things wrong with a posting that says "send me mcopy".

-snip-

> d) Even if you get a statically compiled mcopy binary, and you save it
>    to a floppy disk, how will you copy it to the disk of the system
>    it's going to be used on?  This is a tricky question, because if
>    you answer "oh, but I'll certainly use the network" then it is
>    obvious that you can use the network for transferring your data and
>    using floppies or mcopy is vain, useless and pointless :)

You are indeed correct.  8^)  I realized that shortly after posting my
request -- for some reason, it was delayed and didn't appear on the list
for about 5 hours. BTW, I did manage to find a copy of mcopy for fbsd 3.3,
but it took me a day.

But that's not really the point, is it?

> Now, please do calm down and ask the real question.
> What are you *really* trying to do?

I was *really* trying to get a copy of mcopy. Once I had it in hand and
realized that I had no way to jamb it into the system that needed it, then
I would have seen my problem with my own eyes, but as it turned out, that
learning experience was denied to me.

I sincerely hope that this doesn't wrankle you. I don't intend that and
wouldn't have brought it up again.

Ciao -- Mark