Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:34:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        Brad Guillory <round@baileylink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall network config

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Brad Guillory wrote:

> on another note if you are still reading my ethernet card does not work.
> I have a 3c589d, the ep0 driver reports "No irq!?".  I have seen suggestions
> to use the 3com utility to set the irq and base address which I have done
> but no suggestions about what to set them to.

On most ethernet cards you can let the card attempt to autoconfigure.
If after you reboot FreeBSd doesn't see it then do the following:
--When you get the prompt asking if you want to do kernel config choose
visual.
--Press enter on the network card entry. This takes you to the bottom part
of the screen. Type in the correct IRQ and Address (move to the field, use
backspace and then type in the right number).

IF the only problem FreeBSD was having was not finding the card due to IRQ
and address then the above should work.

I have not used the card you mentioned or any pcmcia card (don't have
freeBSD on a laptop) so I am only talking in "general" terms.

Also I have a machine where I have to specify the IRQ/Address for the
network card and every time I boot I have to "boot -c/ visual" to enter
the right parameters... so if you get it to work once and the next time it
is not recognized you may need to specify your parameters at boot time