Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 12:31:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, mjacob@feral.com
Subject:   Re: man pages

On 17-Mar-01 Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0103171037090.65580-100000@beppo.feral.com> Matthew
> Jacob writes:
>:      ddi_enter_critical, ddi_exit_critical -  enter  and  exit       a
>:      critical region of      control
>: The driver may not call any functions external to itself in between
>: the time it calls ddi_enter_critical() and the time it calls
>: ddi_exit_critical().
>
> Hmmm.  That's what I need, with the above exception being too
> restrictive.  I'd need to call functions that frob the hardware. :-)

This would allow us to get rid of most of the (ab)uses of *_intr as it is right
now.  If we were to use a more abstract name for this than just
intr_restore/disable, would critical_enter() and critical_exit() work?  If I do
this, I may not even mess with the current set of foo_intr() functions as they
may turn out to no longer be useful.  Some things like the ACPI code would need
to be taught to not assume cli/sti though.  (Intel's ACPICA code is
Linux-centric in some places, but I think they are very open to fixes, so I
don't expect that will be a problem.)