Date:      Mon, 03 Jul 2000 23:26:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Alan Clegg <abc@shell.wetworks.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Kim J. Brand" <kim@simple-mail.com>
Subject:   Re: install fails on 10.2 GB drive using 4.0

On 04-Jul-00 Alan Clegg wrote:
> An SMTP stream claimed that Kim J. Brand muttered:
>
>> i fdisked/formatted the drive with a spare WIN98 Boot Disk, then i deleted
>> the partition using the 4.0 partition utility, and it WORKED!!
>
> I would have been interested to know if booting from a recovery disk
> and then doing a 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/_whatever_ count=10' would
> have done the same thing.

Not always.  That zeros the MBR, so sysinstall is then required to
guess at the geometry used by the BIOS, which it might rarely get wrong.
If you format it with DOS, then DOS will use the BIOS geometry and
create a valid MBR with it, which we can use in sysinstall to extract
the BIOS geometry for the drive.