Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 08:18:31 -0700
From:      Jeff Kletsky <Jeff@Wagsky.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3c905 PCI Ethernet under 2.2-stable...

>I believe someone was working on a new and improved 3C90XX driver (the
>current is really suboptimal) but I only hear silence everytime this
>question comes up, I really hope he has not given up. Maybe he should
>speak up and give us a status report, if he is reading this forum.

Linux has been plagued with the poor and non-robust performance of these
cards.  Details of Donald Becker's efforts on the "vortex" driver are
available at

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/linux.html
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html

there is also quite active mailing lists related to the "vortex" drivers.

linux-vortex@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
linux-vortex-bug@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov

>I really recommend the Intel Etherexpress 10/100B, the
>driver and card are both excellent performers.

That would be the $50/machine solution for better reliability/performance ;-)

Jeff