Date:      Thu, 17 May 2018 10:57:35 -0700
From:      Conrad Meyer <cem@freebsd.org>
To:        Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: enabling kernel dump options in GENERIC

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over the past couple of years, a number of kernel dump features have
> been added: encryption, compression and dumping to a remote host
> (netdump). These features are currently all omitted from GENERIC.

I don't have anything substantive to add, but as someone who has
code-reviewed, written, and/or used a bunch of these features at
$DAYJOB, I'd love to see them built by default in GENERIC =E2=80=94 even if
disabled by default (compression =E2=80=94 the others don't have a sane
default configuration).  I don't think GZIO is especially useful if we
enable ZSTDIO, but at the same time I think it's harmless to enable as
an option.

Thanks,
Conrad