Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 1996 21:05:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        David Meyer <Skynet1@Cris.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Com ports, ethernet, and all those hardware goodies

On Fri, 15 Sep 1995, David Meyer wrote:

> 1) In FreeBSD 2.1.5, the /dev/ directory doesn't seem to have all the
> devices I need. It doesn't have any of the SIOx (com ports) and I can't find
> my Ethernet Card. I know that when it boots up it mentions the Ethernet Card
> but I can't seem to find it.

The sio devices (like the Ethernet devices) don't have /dev enteries.  For
serial ports, use /dev/cuaa? where ?=the sio port number (0 = COM1).

> 2) Can I use all of my four com ports?? Is that supported?

As long as they don't share resources, yes.

> 3) How do I setup my printers on both my LPT ports??

No special magic; make sure your lpt ports don't share resources either.
Setting up lpd is another matter.

> 4) How do I get FreeBSD unix to shutdown correctly?

Use the shutdown(8) command.

> 5) I downloaded Apache-1.1.1.tgz from a non unix computer and brought the
> file over to the UNIX computer. I did the TAR -XZF apache-1.1.1.tgz and it
> uncompressed it now how do I set it up?? Through /stand/sysinstall?? What
> settings do I use?

Grab the port instead (from ftp.freebsd.org or the CDROM).  It has the
necessary changes to compile it on FreeBSD.  See the Handbook for port
instructions.

> 6) With a DOS Emulator for Unix will I be able to play video games like
> Duke3d or Doom?
> If I can and I want to do a network game will that work??

No.  The emulator isn't that complex.