Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:54:09 -0500
From:      "Jeff Rogers" <jlr@soltec.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Machine locks up during New Install

I am trying to install FreeBSD on my machine, with the latest Walnut
Creek CD's in the latest Walnut Creek book.  I'm doing a dual OS
install, w/ Win 95.  I'm installing FreeBSD on a separate, 1.3GB HDD
that's empty, just for FreeBSD.

Each time I get to the point where the sysinstall starts to install the
servers for x (I think.), the machine mysteriously hangs.  I have to do
a Ctl/alt/del reboot.

Here's the message I see on the screen when it locks up:
Extracting Servers /X332SVGA into /usr/x11R6 directory.

Then at the bottom of the screen I see the following:
14336 bytes read from Servers/X332SVGA dist @ 14.0kb/sec

I think I understand the latter line.

The install appears to go fine until this point.

I have a P200p, 64 MRAM, S3 Trio video (64 bit with 2 Mmem),
Soundblaster 16 PNP, Wahrens 24x CDROM.  The mouse seems to
respond okay, too.

I choose the Auto settings for the hard drive, and the numbers all
look okay, and I choose "s" to make the hdd bootable.

Once, I got past this seemingly okay, but then when I tried to boot
into FBSD, it just kept scrolling, couldn't find kernel.  No commands
would work.  I've tried to reinstall several times.  I'm sure I'm doing
something wrong personally.  Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
Jeff Rogers
jlr@soltec.net