Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 01:24:12 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <ruigrjer@start.nl>
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous reboots

Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

> I will try that just to verify it not to be the problem ;)

Just shows that the only spontaneous reboots I've seen were caused by
hardware. With Windows, on the other hand... oh I won't go into that
now...

> the weird part is, I think I can recreate the problem by doing the same things,
> starting X, starting Netscape and download something... This will trash the PC
> within a few seconds/minutes... Any hints on how to spot remote what's screwing
> it up?

Is the kernel panicking? If so, have you enabled crash dumps? If not,
you may want to try that at least (with a -g kernel to analyze the dump)
provided you have a swap partition big enough to hold the dump. And have
you tried switching to the console after starting the download, to see
if anything is printed there?

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk