Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 02:59:26 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Lisa Williams <dlm55@lvcm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rescue CD question (newbie)

On 2002-03-25 08:22, Lisa Williams wrote:
> I screwed up my /etc/fstab file. I copied an fstab file from a floppy and
> without checking to make sure it was properly copied, I rebooted. Now I
> can't boot.
>
> How do I use the rescue disc to mount the partitions? I've tried going to
> the fixit: prompt and typing: mount /(no good), mount dev/ad0s1a (no good)..
> mount /usr/ ( doesn't work either)
>
> How do I mount the hard drive, or does someone have a url I can go to to get
> information I need?

You want to use mount as shown in the example below:

	# mount -t ufs -o ro /dev/ad0s1a /mnt

In this command line:

	-t ufs		=> This is a BSD ufs filesystem we're mounting.
	-o ro		=> Mount it as read-only.
	/dev/ad0s1a	=> Partition 'a' of slice '1' in disk 'ad0'.
	/mnt		=> Where to mount this partition.

The device name might be different from /dev/ad0s1a but you can use fdisk
and disklabel to view the slices and partitions of what disks you have.

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/