Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:45:01 -0600
From:      "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
To:        grip-users@lists.sourceforge.net, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ejecting an empty drive

I'm having a mild problem with Grip 3.0.5 on FreeBSD 4.7: It won't
open the CD-ROM try if the drive is empty.  I just start grip without
having a disk in the CD-ROM drive, and the eject button doesn't
work. If I start grip with a disk in the CD-ROM drive, the eject
button works.

I've tried this with faulty_eject set to both 0 and 1, with no
change.

I've traced the source, and the only difference seems to be that if
grip thinks there is a disk in the drive, it runs CDStop before
CDEject. So, I added a CDStop call at line 1211 and 1215 of cdplay.c,
and that didn't change anything.

Working with gdb shows that in both cases (empty and non-empty drives)
CDEject executes:

    if(ioctl(disc->cd_desc,CDIOCALLOW)<0)
        printf(_("Unlock failed: %d"),errno);

    if(ioctl(disc->cd_desc,CDIOCEJECT)<0) {