Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:18:45 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to update from FreeBSD 2.2.8 to RELENG_4

Hi !

I have an old FreeBSD 2.2.8 installation at a customers site.
Does somebody have any experience in upgrading such a machine to 4.0 ?

Or is there a document available where these steps are documented
over the different FreeBSD releases ???

I'd do the following and pray ...

1) upgrade sources to latest RELENG_2_2
   build RELENG_2_2 kernel and reboot
   make world
   reboot
2) checkout FreeBSD 3.0-current sources prior FreeBSD ELF
   (approx May 24th, 1998)
   build FreeBSD-3.0-current kernel and reboot
   make world
   reboot
3) checkout sources RELENG_3_1_0_RELEASE
   [ Q: do I have to prepare a special kernel config file here which is
     used to build an ELF aware FreeBSD kernel here ??? ]
   make aout-to-elf-build [ interactive questions here ]
   make aout-to-elf-install
   rebuild kernel
   reboot
* now we have a FreeBSD 3.1 ELF system *
4) checkout RELENG_3
   build RELENG_3 kernel and reboot
   make world
   reboot
5) checkout RELENG_4_0_0_RELEASE
   build RELENG_4_0_0_RELEASE kernel and reboot
   make world
   reboot
6) checkout RELENG_4
   build RELENG_4 kernel and reboot