Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 21:10:59 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        qgabriel@sprynet.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which files

> 	 I do apologize for such a simple question - but on your ftp
> server there are several files that *might* just be the ones that I need
> to download.  What directories do I need to clean out (if there are
> any)and what file structure needs to be set up within the C:\freebsd
> directory that I made to assist the installation?

There are two ways of doing the installation. Either FTP down
everything you expect to want, and put it somewhere where the install
program can find it, or else just grab the boot disk and let it
automagically pull down everything it needs during the
installation. The first one assumes you have somewhere convenient to
keep them, but allows you to do it in stages; the second one assumes
that you are willing to be online for the whole installation.

(There's also a third option, which is to install from CDROM, if your
CDROM is recognised by the boot floppy).

If you're going to install from a DOS partition, you need to put the
distribution files in the same directory structure as on the FTP site:

c:\freebsd\bin
c:\freebsd\floppies
c:\freebsd\src
etc..

> Also, how is this "root" disk made?

I assume you mean the "boot" disk? (The "root" disk should be read in
directly from the DOS partition or over FTP). It's made using
rawrite.exe from the tools directory - all it does is write the
boot.flp image directly to floppy (in other words it's a trick to make
a FreeBSD boot floppy without requiring you to have a FreeBSD system).

The best thing to do is probably to get the installation documentation
from the FTP site (INSTALL.TXT, README.TXT, etc) peruse them
carefully, and print them out before you start.

> I do sincerely apologize for what
> must surely sound like the most trivial and maybe even childish
> questions.  I am going to learn to use unix-type systems, and I have to
> start asking questions somewhere...
> "He who asks is a fool for a moment; he who does not ask is a fool
> forever..."

Not at all. Everyone has to start somewhere...

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk