Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 14:43:14 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Jaz drive suppliers & details?

G'day peoples.

 Warner's comments recently elsewhere about the joys of using a Jaz for
managing one's hopeless pile of data have me wondering whether I can
make that work for me too, so I've been searching for the best deals and
details on the whole kit.

 Local suppliers want about AUD$1100 for an external Jaz.  (about $US900)
Not so good.

 Pricewatch sent me to Essential Data who want US$499 for the same item.
Looks better. (www.essential-data.com)

 Now, what I haven't been able to find out is how the external Jaz is
_powered_.  See, over here our electrons are upside down, and your average
US wall wart has a hard time with that.  In addition, I travel a fair
bit and am likely to want to take such a useful device with me, so I'd
either want a range of warts (yuck but bearable), or an autosensing one
(nicer).  So knowing what the unit's actual requirements were would be
helpful.  (That's volts, amps, and what the funny little plug looks like.)

 If the external unit is just a total loss, I'd have to go for an internal
and the smallest external case I could find, which would be OK but
somewhat bulkier (not so good).

 Anyway, any comments on whether the above deal and dealer are any good,
and any input from Jaz owners would be appreciated.  Anyone who knows
anything about the upcoming Syquest unit, or any other cartridge disk
of similar price/capacity should feel welcome to expound also!

 Ta.