Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 13:28:45 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Makoto MATSUSHITA <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release Makefile

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 07:10:10PM +0900, Makoto MATSUSHITA wrote:
> But wait, wait a minute...
>
> If you wanna say "make release", you already know about that an
> exciting, cool, and misterious world is there. Why not adding
> vn_load="YES" to your loader.conf and reboot ?

1. No one has given an argument about what is so wrong about explicitly
   running kldload(8).  And before someone says "just remember to run it
   before you type `make release'", then I'll argue why even have a
   release Makefile when one could just type all the commands in by hand.

2. At least the way I've been doing the last 4.x Alpha releases I've
   built (including snapshots), I grab an Alpha, install the latest
   FreeBSD 4.x I have on CDROM -- blowing away what ever was on the box.
   Turning the knob in sysinstall that I want Amd.  Make a symlink to my
   CVS repo,
   ``cd /usr/src ; make buildworld ; cd /usr/src/release ; make release''
   So I am using a GENERIC kernel and stock world.  I don't want to have
   to spend any more time configuring the build box then necessary.

> Why not making a shell script to kick vnconfig(8) before running make
> release ?

Why not just put it in the release Makefile.  Makefile+make(1) is a
glorified script.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)