Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:26:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        potzilov@softhome.net (Sergey Niunco)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot Menu question

> Hello!
>
>  When I start my system I have a choise of 2 OS's:
>
>  F1: ???
>  F3: FreeBSD
>
>  The question is how do i change "???" to "Win2000"?

This is a frequent question, so there is a lot in the archives on it.
But, briefly, the boot manager was written before W2K (and W-XP, etc)
and so, doesn't have a name for them.  It can boot them as long as
they use a "standard" boot sequence.  It just doesn't know what to
call them.

To change that, either you or someone else will have to modify the
boot manager code to add recognition of those, or you have to
install a different boot manager that knows about them.  There
are several, some rather overblown.  I see one called 'grub'
mentioned quite often, but haven't used it.

It would be nice if someone who know something about the insides of
these things got around to adding recognition of W2K and W-XP and
maybe a couple of others hint hint hint.   (But, I doubt that I will
ever learn enough or get around to it)

////jerry