Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 2002 08:49:42 -0600
From:      "Joe Gwozdecki" <joegw@hal-pc.org>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>, "Steve Hodgson" <steve@shodgson.org.uk>
Subject:   Re: Voodoo 3500 AGP under FreeBSD

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Hodgson" <steve@shodgson.org.uk>
To: <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 3:44 AM
Subject: Voodoo 3500 AGP under FreeBSD

I had been having some problem trying to get FreeBSD installed onto a
free partition because I was unsure whether my Voodoo 3500 AGP card was
supported by X Windows.

Thanks to some help received I now know that I need to use the tdfx
driver.  However when I select this as part of the graphical or shell-
based W Windows setup during install it still fails.  I wonder if
anyone can advise whether I am missing some quirk of using the card.

With regard to the graphical setup it may be useful to note that all
the other devices are shown correctly while the graphics card is only
shown as an outline box.  Is it time to try to pick up a cheat ATi
card?

Cheers,

Steve Hodgson

I just looked at the XFree video driver list and they do not have Voodoo cards on it.
Maybe it goes by some other name.  But Voodoo is just not there.  Which means there is no
driver for it in X windows.

When I first got into the X window system, I did not understand how important it was to
have an exact card from the list.  I tried and tried with what I had, and got no where.

Finally, I printed off their list, went to the computer store with it, and got something
exactly, and the key word is exactly, like on the list.  Came back, put it in, set the
variables in "X", and voila!

Again, it is not FreeBSD.  It is X windows which is card specific.

Joe Gwozdecki
Houston, Texas