Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:17:32 -0800
From:      "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RELENG_4 crash: UDMA100 drive on with old UDMA33 controller

I am having problems with RELENG_4 (cvsup last night) crashing.  I
recently purchased a WDC WD1600JB (160GB) disk drive to attach to my
trusty, old home server:
 ASUS P5A-B Motherboard with integrated Acer UDMA33 controller
 Fujitsu MPC3032AT/6018 (3GB) disk drive (channel 0 master)
 FX322M/w03 CDROM drive (channel 0 slave)

I presently have the WD1600JB was added as the channel 1 master
(no slave).  It is connected to the controller using the 80
conductor/40-pin cable provided with the drive.  (I've also
tried to setups with the WD1600JB replacing the CDROM drive
as slave on channel 0, using both 80/40 and 40/40 cable with
like results.)  I have configured the BIOS (as directed in
the WDC documents) for C/H/S for 1023/16/63 (528M).

RELENG_4 sees that a UDMA100 drive is connected to ata1 and
tries fallback to UDMA33 and then to PIO4.  This is the last
page of messages (which shows the panic).  I'll try to type
in more if this isn't enough (sorry, but I don't a laplink
cable handy):

ad2: trying fallback to PIO mode
ata1: resetting devices .. done

fault virtual address	= 0x78007a
fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc018760e
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xc03b9314
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xc02931c
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process	= Idle
interrupt mask		= bio
trap number		= 12
panic: page fault

This seems to be related problems others have noted with regards
to Acer UDMA33 controller and RELENG_4.  It does seem specific
to 4.x as tests against 4.8 failed same as above yet tests against
FreeBSD 5.2 and NetBSD 1.6 were okay.

Kurt