Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 13:19:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, julian@whistle.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Terry

> There are no signs anywhere, Terry, either on or off the "restricted
> access campus" (and that campus is smaller than you think - write
> access to the CVS repository is basically ALL we really control).

That's a shame.  It means no one can find the project to deliver
fan mail assistance packages, etc..

> We're making this up as we go along, to be perfectly frank (I looked
> for "How to create your own free operating system project" at Barnes &
> Nobel but didn't have much luck), and as far as I know the purpose of
> the core team is really to provide a focus for existing (and sometimes
> conflicting) visions more than it is to be a wellspring of vision
> itself.

It's in the business management section for managing any business
with an inconstant resource component.  This includes, but is not
limited to, businesses relying on creative artistic endeavors
(which by their nature, can not be completion scheduled or resource
leveled) and/or volunteer labor.

It's right next to the books on Non-Profit and Tax Exempt corporations
and S corps in general.

> > I will be taking Julian up on his offer once I can get a new CVSup
> > set up for my local machine, and start migrating changes.  Wherever
> > Poul offered "half an hour ago", I haven't seen it; was the other
> > list the core team list?  I'm not on that list.
>
> This was last raised then, but Poul says that he's made the offer
> repeatedly before now and this is hardly the first time it's come up.
> You really don't remember any offer from Poul to give you access
> to a machine where you could put your bits?  Strange.

I remember him making the offer in the past, with his ability to *do*
anything being predicated on the Lite2 integration.  I did not see
one in the "last half hour" (tagged relative time stamp).

If he can't do anything, then there's no reason to "hurry up an wait"
until he can.

> > In any case, I plan to take Julian up on his offer... though I was led
>
> Great!
>
> > to believe that the effort wouldn't be worthwhile until the Lite2
> > integration was complete (something Poul and I *had* discussed when he
> > originally made his offer right before my accident).  Is it now
> > worthwhile because the Lite2 integration is complete?  Or is it
> > now worthwhile because the Lite2 integration has been scrapped?
>
> Well, Lite2 may well prove a short-term inconvenience, but that
> doesn't prevent you from putting your code up for review in the
> interim.  Helping with the Lite2 merge would be another way
> of making it worthwhile, of course. :-)

Lite2's "short term inconvenience" is now verging on it's second year
(in 3.5 months it will have its anniversary).  It needs to time out
soon.  8-(.

> > Actually, I just mean "acceptable" in the sense of "capable of being
> > accepted".  That's why I used that "able" suffix and didn't use the
> > word "guarantee" in there anywhere.
>
> To you and Richard: Anything which solves the make ordering problems
> (/usr/src is not "self contained"), deals with cross-platform builds
> and/or generally makes the Makefiles easier to understand (since
> further obfuscation is hardly desirable) is welcome.  If you want a
> reviewer, I'll be happy to volunteer.

Thank you for the problem scope definition.  I'm pretty sure Richard
will take you up on this now that he can measure his ideas for "in
scope" and "out of scope".

> > I'm asking for you to tell me what the shelf where the happy meals
> > are stacked looks like so I can build a happy meal that won't fall
> > on the floor.  I'm not asking you to build happy meal boxes for
>
> It's at this point that the analogy starts to break down. :-) I don't
> know what consistutes a "shelf" in the analgous side of this picture.

Neither do I; where do you want these happy meals stacked?  8-) 8-).

> > I grasp the concept of evolutionary progress... I simply don't bow
> > to it as if it were a god just to keep all the peasants bowing along
> > with me.  It is inefficient compared to revolutionary progress, and
>
> That may be, but revolutionary progress from someone who has yet to
> demonstrated prowess at working with the group over even small issues
> is not what we're looking for either.  What's so terrible about a
> little dating first before deciding on marriage? :-)

Teen pregnancy?

What's wrong with arranged marriages?

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert