Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:04:35 +1000
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        Mark Hittinger <bugs@freebsd.netcom.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Games on FreeBSD

> I don't know... I've never been much of a gamer. Prboom and quakeforge
> do me just fine, and they both work fine on a PIII-733 with any video
> card you can imagine. Remember, DOOM was designed in the 386/486 days,
> and quake, well, I think the shareware CD folder says system
> requirements are a 100MHz pentium.

GlQuakeWorld... thats where its at... any game without OpenGL support is
just crap :)

> Well, that's my solution to the UNIX gaming problem: don't play games. I
> wonder if WINE will run Flight Simulatory or Fury^3? Those games weren't
> so bad, and they bring back memories. I thought I heard WINE was getting
> DirectX support...

Thats fine if you dont enjoy having fun, or you dont do any graphics work...
But there are many uses for OpenGL and hardware acceleration in general,
there are also lots of great games :)

WINE has DirectX support now I think, its quite possible to play Half-Life
under WINE on FreeBSD... But that dosent exactly the slove our card problem,
which there are plenty of people wanting sloved over in the other thread!