Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 06:47:42 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        dfr@nlsystems.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Draft manpages available for review

Thomas Dean wrote:
[..]
> devclass_add_driver - ispell says 'initialisation' should be 'initialization'

Depends where you live..  I've got two dictionaries that pretty much say
the exact opposite on this particular suffix.  I've given up trying to
predict which will say what these days.  Generally Australian English is
closer to British English than American English, but not in this case it
seems. The Oxford (.uk) and Macquarie (.au) appear to disagree.  The most
current dictionary I have (the Macquarie, which is updated regularly based
on common usage) suggests that initialisation is the canonical form *here*
but has initialization listed as a variation according to suffix rules. The
Oxford (*very* old edition - 1911, last revised in 1964) doesn't know about
-isation, but does list when and how one would use -ize vs. -ise in the UK.

I give up. :-)

Cheers,
-Peter
--