Date:      Sat, 22 Nov 1997 09:58:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>
To:        Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@kts.org>
Cc:        garyj@muc.de, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, isdn-dev@hcs.de
Subject:   Re: Ascend NetWarp 128 ISDN TA

Hellmuth Michaelis writes:

> All passive cards currently supported by bisdn and the upcoming isdn4bsd
> are based on the Siemens HSCX/ISAC combination, so once you know how the
> interfacing of the chips to the ISA/EISA/PCI bus is done, you are done.

This part is almost done.  Just one or two little bits of info from the
card's system engineer are still needed.  Is isdn4bsd available yet as a
snapshot?  If it's replacing bisdn, I'd love to start there instead of
having to port my updates into it.

> Since the D channel is 3-layerd, it might be possible to reuse some of the
> existing protocol support from DSS1 for the US protocols (it basically has
> 3 layers, in Europe is it I.430, Q.921 and Q.931 - Layer 1 seems to have
> some differences for the US being "not quite" I.430, Layer 2 seems to be
> the same but layer 3 has to be written; the difficulty seems that there is
> not a single protocol but different phone companies with different switches
> seem to have different protocols in the US).

You're right on the money here.  From what I've been finding at least
National N1 and N2 are closely based on Q.931, in fact N1 is a superset of
Q.931 by a mere 5 messages. (aside from a few minor implementation
differences) As for I.430, I've not been able to find the official ITU
spec, so I'm shooting in the dark for now.

My current plan of attack is:

1) Get the teles driver talking to the TA...
   I figure if I can document the differences it shouldn't be too hard to
   backfit everything into isdn4bsd when it's out.

2) Get all of the ITU specs and contrast them with the US specs...
   I have Q.921 and Q.931, as well as various US specs.  Once I find the
   differences, I can build off the existing code.  Does isdn4bsd use
   the same disdn pseudo-device model for D channels as bisdn?

3) Add the support code into the disdn driver...

4) Relax and get a life.

Reasonable?

> Hope this helps,
> hellmuth

It does... Much!

Many Thanks!

- Bruce

|| Bruce M. Walter                    || 107 Timber Hollow Court #335 ||
|| Senior Network Consultant          || Chapel Hill, NC  27514       ||
|| Fortean Technologies, Inc.         || Tel: 919-967-4766            ||
|| Information Technology Consultants || Fax: 919-967-4395            ||
||       BSD Unix -- It's not just a job, it's a way of life!         ||