Date:      Mon, 5 May 2008 18:00:04 GMT
From:      Derrick <dbuckhal@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/121549: [nfe]: nfe interface locks up during rc.conf initialization

The following reply was made to PR i386/121549; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Derrick <dbuckhal@yahoo.com>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, dbuckhal@yahoo.com
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 10:27:11 -0700 (PDT)

 Just some follow up information as it is still not
 working.

 Here's my pciconf output:

 nfe0@pci0:0:17:0: class=0x068000 card=0xc55e10de
 chip=0x037310de rev=0xa3 hdr=0x00
 vendor = 'Nvidia Corp'
 device = 'MCP55 Ethernet'
 class = bridge
 nfe1@pci0:0:18:0: class=0x068000 card=0xc55e10de
 chip=0x037310de rev=0xa3 hdr=0x00
 vendor = 'Nvidia Corp'
 device = 'MCP55 Ethernet'
 class = bridge
 pcib6@pci0:0:19:0: class=0x060400 card=0x000010de
 chip=0x037610de rev=0xa3 hdr=0x01

 I have tried to use the 7-STABLE nfe driver, but after
 extracting the relative dev and module files into
 their respective locations, the re-compile failed:

 cc -c -O -pipe -std=c99 -g -Wall -Wredundant-decls
 -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-pr
 ototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline
 -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wn
 o-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -nostdinc -I.
 -I/usr/src/sys -I/usr/src/sys/
 contrib/altq -D_KERNEL -DHAVE_KERNEL_OPTION_HEADERS
 -include opt_global.h -fno-c
 ommon -finline-limit=8000 --param
 inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-
 growth=1000 -mno-align-long-strings
 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -mno-mmx -mno
 -3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding
 -Werror /usr/src/sys/dev/nfe
 /if_nfe.c
 cc1: warnings being treated as errors
 /usr/src/sys/dev/nfe/if_nfe.c: In function
 'nfe_encap':
 /usr/src/sys/dev/nfe/if_nfe.c:2469: warning: implicit
 declaration of function 'm_collapse'
 /usr/src/sys/dev/nfe/if_nfe.c:2469: warning: nested
 extern declaration of 'm_collapse'
 /usr/src/sys/dev/nfe/if_nfe.c:2469: warning:
 assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
 *** Error code 1

 Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC.
 *** Error code 1

 Stop in /usr/src.
 *** Error code 1

 I then used the kernel from a RELENG_7 snapshot and
 copied the kernel from that and it still did not work.
  So, I just decided to disable the two on-board
 Ethernet ports and install a spare PCI card and got
 FreeBSD 7.0 Release up and running just fine, but I do
 want to eventually find a solution!

 Be a better friend, newshound, and