Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 12:52:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Support Desk <support@internetuniverse.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freeBSD, dial-up and ppp

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Support Desk wrote:

> I am using freeBSD 2.2.5 on an Intel Pentium box, this install has gone
> fine, I wish to be able to dial into this machine using a windows95
> machine and connect a ppp session so we may use tools such as FrontPage
> (already installed and working).
>
> I am looking for some GOOD resources to help me configue the rest of the
> system.
>
> Here are my current problems..
>
> 1. Using a USRobotics 28.8 Fax Modem on the freeBSD box, I am unable to
> get this unit to answer. Have configured the following
>
> Dip Switches  1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8   U-D-U-D-U-U-U-D
>
> AT codes as Follows
>
> ATZ
> AT&C1&D2&H1&I0&R2&W
> AT&F&W
>
> I am trying to set this to 9600 baud but am willing to set it up to any
> plan that works. I believe that the etc files have been configured
> correctly.

The standard getty expects the modem to be set in auto-answer mode.  I
don't have one of these handy (at the ISP I'm interning at they have about
a hundred laying around :) ) or else I'd read off the switches to you.
One of them controls autoanswer I know, so make sure it's up.

> 2. Need GOOD information on how to get ppp dialin working on the machine
> working (very important with windows95 dialing in)

Check the handbook and mail archives.  Keep an eye out for info on the
gettytab pp capability -- this is very handy for Winblows95 boxen.