Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:45:20 -0600
From:      Troy Kittrell <troyk@basspro.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Squid

I need to (ASAP, as usual) fire up a proxy server. I would prefer a
Un*x based solution rather that MS Proxy server, but need to plan for
the future. Squid seems to be the (proxy) drug of choice. That future
holds several hundred users that I'd much rather manage the
username/passwd from a centralized location (LDAP!).
  I've gleaned the docs for Squid and can find nothing that indicates
that users can be authenticated from an LDAP server. LDAP seems to be
the only choice I could try to use that all of our other corporate
services (AS/400, Notes, NT Domains, Netware) can share.
  The purpose of the proxy server is not actually to cache and conserve
bandwidth, but as a means to limit access from our corporate network to
the internet. So far this has been accomplished quite well by a POS/486
runnning FreeBsd/ipfw/natd. I'm tired of adding rules to rc.firewall
plus NT Domains w/DHCP doesn't actually limit people. All they have to
do is go to a machine that gets an (ipfw) allowed address from DHCP and
they're on.

  Hints? Clues? Experiences?

TIA!!!
--