Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 00:47:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jean-Francois Dockes <jean-francois.dockes@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/31951: Improved language for the 'diskless' handbook section

>Number:         31951
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Improved language for the 'diskless' handbook section
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
reeBSD hautmedoc 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #2: Mon Oct  8 18:44:52 CEST 2001     dockes@hautmedoc:/usr/src/sys/compile/HAUTMEDOC  i386

The diskless section in the doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/advanced-networking chapter was initially committed before I could integrate some of the
suggestions for language improvement. These improvements follow in the attached patch.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
*** chapter.sgml.ori	Tue Nov 13 08:50:56 2001
--- chapter.sgml	Tue Nov 13 09:36:28 2001
***************
*** 1386,1392 ****

  	    <programlisting>tftp    dgram   udp     wait    nobody  /usr/libexec/tftpd    tftpd /tftpboot</programlisting>

! 	    <note><para>It appears that at least some PXE versions wants
  		the TCP version of TFTP. In this case, add a second line,
  		tcp</literal></para>
--- 1386,1392 ----

  	    <programlisting>tftp    dgram   udp     wait    nobody  /usr/libexec/tftpd    tftpd /tftpboot</programlisting>

! 	    <note><para>It appears that at least some PXE versions want
  		the TCP version of TFTP. In this case, add a second line,
  		tcp</literal></para>
***************
*** 1399,1408 ****
  	  </step>
          </procedure>

! 	<para>You can place the tftpboot directory anywhere on the server, but,
! 	  of course, the actual location, the value in
! 	  <filename>inetd.conf</filename>, and the value in

  	<para>You also need to enable NFS service and export the
  	  appropriate filesystem on the NFS server</para>
--- 1399,1408 ----
  	  </step>
          </procedure>

! 	<para>You can place the tftpboot directory anywhere on the
! 	  server. Make sure that the location is set in both
! 	  <filename>inetd.conf</filename>

  	<para>You also need to enable NFS service and export the
  	  appropriate filesystem on the NFS server</para>
***************
*** 1503,1513 ****
        <sect3>
  	<title>Configuring Swap</title>

! 	<para>If needed, it is possible to do swapping over NFS, to a file
! 	  on the server. The exact <filename>bootptab</filename> or
! 	  <filename>dhcpd.conf</filename> options are a little mysterious
! 	  and poorly documented. Anyway, here is what worked for me, using
! 	  isc-dhcp 3.0rc11.</para>
  	<procedure>
  	  <step><para>Add the following lines to
--- 1503,1513 ----
        <sect3>
  	<title>Configuring Swap</title>

! 	<para>If needed, a swap file located on the server can be accessed via NFS.
! 	  The exact <filename>bootptab</filename> or
! 	  <filename>dhcpd.conf</filename> options are not clearly documented at
! 	  this time.  The following configuration suggestions have been reported
! 	  to work in some installations using isc-dhcp 3.0rc11.</para>
  	<procedure>
  	  <step><para>Add the following lines to
***************
*** 1578,1590 ****
  	    you will have to create the root file system on a
  	    FreeBSD machine, then copy it to its destination, using
! 	  <para>In this situation, it seems that there are sometimes
  	    problems with the special files in <filename>/dev</filename>,
! 	    because of differing minor/major number integer sizes. It seems
! 	    that a solution to this problem is to run <command>MAKEDEV</command>
! 	    on a FreeBSD
! 	    machine, in a directory mounted through NFS from the final
! 	    server.</para>

  	</sect4>

--- 1578,1590 ----
  	    you will have to create the root file system on a
  	    FreeBSD machine, then copy it to its destination, using
! 	  <para>In this situation, there are sometimes
  	    problems with the special files in <filename>/dev</filename>,
! 	    due to differing major/minor integer sizes. A solution to this
! 	    problem is to export a directory from the non-FreeBSD server,
! 	    mount this directory onto a FreeBSD machine, and run
! 	    <command>MAKEDEV</command> on the FreeBSD machine
! 	    to create the correct device entries.</para>

  	</sect4>