Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 09:33:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      uwp@charite.de
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Drops and breaks in Luigi's Audio system

Hi !

I have Version 2.2.6R installed here and I chose Luigi's Audio driver.

It works quite well, but sometimes (I think when there's an interruption
of the audio stream, maybe with Ctrl-C or anything else) I get drops
and the audio sysem only comes back after reboot.

It happens when I'm playing MPEG-Layer3 audio files. sometimes the
player (mpg123, x11amp seems to only work with the OSS system...:-(( )
just stops and nothing happens. After this event every try to
play any mp3 file again doesn't work, which means: there is no sound
and the player never stops.

There's no message in the logfile (I can remember this problem in the old
days of Luigi's driver, but at these times it has been worse, now it
seems to be better). This also happens when I'm just playing wav-files
or when I'm using other audio tools.

Here are my config-entries:

controller      pnp0
device pcm0 at isa ? port ? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x0 vector pcmintr

The kernel messages during boot are as follows:

Jul 28 18:18:24 low-tech /kernel: Probing for PnP devices:
Jul 28 18:18:24 low-tech /kernel: No Plug-n-Play devices were found

(This is fun because in my opinion it is a pnp card)

Jul 28 18:18:25 low-tech /kernel: pcm0 at 0x530 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0xa400 on isa
Jul 28 18:18:25 low-tech /kernel: mss_attach <mss>0 at 0x530 irq 5 dma 1:1 flags 0xa400

cat /dev/sndstat:
FreeBSD Audio Driver (980215) Jul  6 1998 10:17:21
Installed devices:
pcm0: <mss> at 0x530 irq 5 dma 1:1

Can anyone help me ? It would be a big help if it could be possible to
restart the audio system without rebooting. Is there any feature ?

Bye,
	Udo

--
Udo Wolter, email: uwp@cs.tu-berlin.de