Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:17:37 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
Cc:        Rossen Raykov <rraykov@sageian.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serialization problem.

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 02:17:32PM -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> I have noticed this as well.  It is part of "Date" and does not apply to the
> Calendar class.
>
> Tom Veldhouse
> veldy@veldy.net

Can one of you two come up with a simple example of this?  I tried, but
everything seemed to work for me:

eclipse> uname -a
SunOS eclipse 5.8 Generic
eclipse> java -version
java version "1.2.2"
Solaris VM (build Solaris_JDK_1.2.2_06, native threads, sunwjit)
eclipse> java WriteDate
Thu Mar 29 00:00:00 CST 2001
Mon Apr 02 00:00:00 CST 2001

misty> uname -a
FreeBSD misty.eyesbeyond.com 4.1-RELEASE
misty> java -version
java version "1.2.2"
Classic VM (build jdk1.2.2-FreeBSD:glewis:2000/10/05-07:13, green threads,
nojit)
misty> java ReadDate
Thu Mar 29 00:00:00 GMT+09:30 2001
Mon Apr 02 00:00:00 GMT+09:30 2001

where WriteDate is a simple class that serializes a couple of dates either
side of 1 April 2001 and ReadDate...well, you can guess that one :).

I suspect something weird might be happening with locales, but its hard
to track down without something reproducible.  Am happy to send you the
code for the test classes I wrote, but I'm sure you can duplicate it in
about 2 minutes flat :).

					- Greg