Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:38:15 +0200
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        Wilson MacGyver <macgyver@cylatech.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: post breakin log

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> Every 14 year old kid too young to drive or grow pubic hair has a
> FreeBSD rootkit.  That's nothing particularly special or noteworthy
> these days, I hate to say. :)

	Right.  I hate to repeat it, but 99% of attacks today are scr1pt k1ddies.
	The rest you don't find.

	I mean, when someone successfully breaks into a machine
	(i.e.: Linux), successfully installs RootKit3 (the one
	that includes "shadowing" configuration files to
	hide entries in ls,ps, etc...) and then goes to
	run an IRC robot + sniffer really has no clue.

	The problem is these kinds of attacks:

	- make a lot of noise
	- increase the alertness/work ratio of new sysadmins
	- make it more difficult to trace more subtle attacks

	For a good starting point:

	http://www.ugu.com/sui/ugu/show?I=admin.security&F=1111111111&G=Y

--
 -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-

               The Internet is busy.  Please try again later.