Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:48:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sharing files within a cluster

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> >    Lets not put Linux down like that.  ;-))  I like "Linux is the new Unix."
> > better.  ;-)

While it is more and more a matter of semantics, Linux is not Unix.  That
was the design idea behind it, and something I hope any true Linux fan
(!me) can at least appreciate.

> I think FreeBSD would run all these Linux things just as well as Linux
> does. I sure wish somebody would look at bproc for FreeBSD.

OK, I'm searching for bproc now.  ;)  In general though, the current
problem is there's plenty of people saying "I wish someone would do X" and
not many people doing...  anything.

I agree it's beneficial to first choose a direction...  But I think we
must be careful to avoid talking too much and coding too little.  ;)

> no, please check out Plan 9, cluster-wide /proc is not a good thing. At
> most you want the bproc-style proc.

Did you mean "At most..." or "At least..." ?  I ask, because if bproc is
the maximal desired implementation, what is a minimal implementation IYO?
You seem knowledgeable here, and I certainly am not...  (I'm just trying
to get a firm grasp and what's needed, then maybe I can start attempting
to understand what's desired.)

> > - Scale to 100s of nodes.
> start at 1024.

It seems that's about where lustre.org's efforts are.  I'm going to try to
get a better understanding of their architecture.

> > - Cluster wide shared memory.
> eek.

Eek indeed!  Let's do everything else right first.  ;)  LOTS of
complications here.

--
Mike Hoskins		This message is RFC 1855 compliant,
mike@adept.org		www.adept.org/~mike/pub/rfcs/rfc1855.html