Date:      Sat, 01 Apr 2006 21:16:53 +0200
From:      Ulrich <freebsd-alpha@infopuls.com>
To:        Ulrich <freebsd-alpha@infopuls.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   PWS500a (Mitia) first install - some progress, three strange observations, one serious problem

Hi Everybody

I still try to get FreeBSD running on my PWS500a. The keyboard problem
disappeared after I replaced the keyboard and I can now operate sysinstall.
This was the "progress" part.

It's a little bit surprising that the kernel configuration phase is skipped,
but this shouldn't be a problem because the network adapter, the harddisk
controller and other components are correctly recognised and seem to work
properly - with one exception which I will talk later about.
When it comes to the 10 Seconds count down before loading the kernel I only
see the message and the three numbers 10, 9 and 8 for less than a Second and
I install via local FTP and get the message that the requested version isn't
available at the FTP host although the file /cdrom.inf contains "CD_VERSION
= 4.9-RELEASE" which seems to be the correct value, isn't it. So I replace
"4.9-RELEASE" with "any" and the installation starts.
This was the "three strange observations" part.

Alas, while installing the first distribution package I get the message
"panic: timeout table full" and this is really the end of the story so far.
Partitioning this SCSI disk and newfs worked fine which makes me believe
that there might be a way to get around that problem.

Does anybody know what I should try? Maybe 4.10 or 4.11, since 5.4 doesn't
work at all? Or is there any option that I can pass to the kernel? Are the
"three strange observations" normal or is there a problem with my
configuration?

There is one AIC78XX SCSI controller in the box and one harddisk connected
to this controller. There are no other harddisks. I know that I cannot boot
using that controller but the FreeBSD Alpha documentation says that this
controller can be used with FreeBSD. Since I don't have in mind switching
off this machine often I would be happy to boot from FDs. So far I don't see
any reason why this shouldn't work.

Thanks for any hints.

Ulrich