Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2007 21:53:20 +0100
From:      RW <mlt01@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        daniel.tourde@spray.se
Subject:   Re: How to check applications vs. libraries

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:23:29 +0200
Daniel Tourde <daniel.tourde@spray.se> wrote:

> I am used to install FreeBSD applications by using the port
> collection. I also update regularly (twice a month or something) the
> apps, using 'portupgrade -a -N' on a refreshed port collection.
>
> Here are my questions:
> - How can I check that the apps that have been build with certain
> libraries still work when some of the libs have been updated?
> - Is it possible then to rebuild the selected set of apps that have
> been 'corrupted' by the library upgrade (classicaly from liba.1 to
> liba.2)? If yes, how?

Generally this doesn't cause a problem as when portupgrade upgrades a
library through a major revision, it puts a copy of the old library
into a compatibility directory.

Applications that depend on updated libraries get version-bumped when
the library major version gets changed, so just keeping your ports
up-to-date is all you normally need to make sure everything is using
the latest libraries.