Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:46:06 +0930
From:      Wayne <wshrubsole@ozemail.com.au>
To:        gustaaf wijnands <gwg.wijnands.freebsd@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: soundcard not working 5.4

gustaaf wijnands wrote:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>> I don't know if this is the right list but I will ask anyway. I want
>> to have FreeBSD as my main OS the only thing that is stopping me is I
>> am unable to get my sound card to work I have an "Azalia" based sound
>> card. In Linux it comes up as an ICH6 based soundcard and after
>> checking the 5.4 Hardware compatibilty I proceeded to download it. Im
>> using the 5.4 RC1, when I load the drivers  (I used kldload snd_ich
>> and noticing no change tried kldload snd_driver and all  loaded with
>> out error but when I type in :
>> $cat /dev/sndstat I get no listing and dmesg shows no pcm either. Is
>> this soundcard supported?
>

> Azalia isn't listed in
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/hardware-i386.html
>
> Have you  tried  doing  a  "kldload  snd_*"
> Have you added "device    sound" to the kernelconfig file and
> recompiled  and installed the new kernel correctly?

Thanks for the reply gustaaf,
I used this to check if my hardware was supported
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/5.4-RC2/HARDWARE.HTM#AUDIO
(it was RC1 at the time) I haven't modified the kernel (dont really have
the time to do it ATM)
I loaded all the drivers by loading snd_drivers like it said in the
handbook none of them worked.
Here is the dmesg output from linux:
0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)

Any ideas?

Thanks