Date:      Wed, 28 May 2008 14:37:55 -0400
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <parish@magichamster.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: External USB disk won't mount

Mark Ovens wrote:
> Bought an external USB HD enclosure but it doesn't work under FreeBSD.
>
> Under FreeBSD-6.3-STABLE:
>
> umass0: Super Top USB 2.0  IDE DEVICE, rev 2.00/2.01, addr 2
> da2 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da2: <MAXTOR 6 L040J2 \0000\0000> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> da2: 40.000MB/s transfers
> da2: 38172MB (78177792 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 4866C)
>
> # mount /dev/da2s1f /mnt
> # ls /mnt

I saw a mail yesterday about something nearly like this, from nej, except with
him, the umass device wasn't reporting anything at all, no device when he
plugged it in.  I sent him a little piece of usb driver code that resets his usb
buss, just to experiment and see if that got his devices correctly detected, but
he didn't yet reply, I don't know if it worked for him.  I don't have something
like that to experiment with.

With yours, you obviously have a da2 ... that only means you have a
direct-access disk devide #2 being detected.  The next step is to figure oout
what kind of formatting you have.  Hopefully, it's been fdisk'ed to where it has
partitions, so do this (as root): "/sbin/fdisk /dev/da2", and in fdisk, give the
'p' command, this will print out the formatting for any partitions.  Likely it's
either one of the various Microsoft things, or a Linux one, or even a FreeBSD
one.  Depending on what you see, you either directly give a mount command next,
to the right partition, or maybe you use bsdlable to find out what the
disk-labelling is (if it's a FreeBSD disk).

Probably the right thing to do is to reply here with the results of the fdisk,
then whoever jumps on it first can give you the right thing to do next.  I'm not
going to try to tell you all the possible ways to go at this point, not without
that.