Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 22:37:25 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Amy Wennings <amybsd@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD burning?

> My next question is: Why isn't there an acd0 ar acd1 device, but
> acd0a, acd0c, racd0a, racd0c and the same with 0=1 in there?
>
> I looked at /dev/MAKEDEV and see those are what it makes.

Hi Amy,

Copying this to the list since I'm sure someone else can answer this better
than I!  I'm not sure about the 'a' and 'c' suffixes, but according to
the intro man page (man 4 intro) the r and non-r bit is for unbuffered
(i.e. raw, hence the r) and buffered devices specifically.  The man page
goes into more detail -- you should read that through :).

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083