Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 1995 18:13:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@rrnet.com>
To:        Steven G Kargl <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 3c509 and modems?

On Fri, 2 Jun 1995, Steven G Kargl wrote:

> Read your Adapter Guide, page 3-5.

Sorry, I don't have an adapter guide, we get 'em in bulk, and they're
already installed in machines by the time I see them :(

> Maximum modem speed allows the 3c509 to disable interrupts for various
> lengths of time.  If you have a fast modem (or serial device), then you
> do not want the interrupts disabled for long time periods.  If on the
> other hand you have slow serial devices, the interrupts can be disabled
> for a longer time period, and thus improving the performance of the
> 3c509.

does this happen at the hardware level?
I thought that spl*() and splx() were for handling just such events.
What should this be set to to disable this bug.
(making the hardware compensate for the OS's shortcoming's is a bug in
my opinion.)

> --
> Steven G. Kargl     | Phone: 206-685-4677 |
> Applied Physics Lab | Fax:   206-543-6785 |
> Univ. of Washington |---------------------|
> Seattle, WA 98105   |---------------------|

eric.
--