Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:55:04 -0400
From:      media@ct1.nai.net
To:        David Kanter <david.kanter@mindspring.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Lpd swallowing my print jobs?

At 10:12 AM -0500 10/17/00, David Kanter wrote:

>I've just installed apsfilter, and the test page printed fine. Lpd is
>started, however whenever I "lpr" a file nothing happens.

How did you print the test page??  Was this before you installed apsfilter??

Try:

# lptest 20 5 | lpr

What happens??   Any log messages??

>I hear the hard drive spinning for a bit (queueing things up) but nothing
>happens. No lpd errors, and lpq shows "no entries."

I had that problem, as it turns out, ghostscript couldn't find a lib file.

So make sure that ghostscript is installed properly, and your spool
directories are correct in etc/printcap.  After making any changes, run
SETUP in apsfilter again.

If that doesn't work, try setting the debugging in apsfilter by
decommenting set-x in /usr/local/apsfilter/bin/apsfilter then check the
log.  This is discussed in the document TROUBLESHOOTING in
usr/local/share/doc/apsfilter.  That's how I caught my ghostscript problem.