Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2013 21:31:12 -0400
From:      Julio Merino <julio@meroh.net>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        freebsd-testing@freebsd.org, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net>, Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net>
Subject:   Re: Plugging ATF tests into the build and other cleanups

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 6:12 PM, Julio Merino <julio@meroh.net> wrote:
>> Hello!
>> The one concern I have here is having to keep track of all tests in
>> tools/build/mk/OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc so that setting
>> WITHOUT_TESTS=no cleans up /usr/tests. This will be a pain to maintain
>> and a sure source of inconsistencies. If we could special-case this to
>> make it more automatic, do you have any suggestions?
>
> Is it possible to use the list of current tests and just delete any
> files which are not listed?

I think what you are suggesting applies to src/ObsoleteFiles.inc, not
tools/build/mk/OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc?

For deleted tests, I think using src/ObsoleteFiles.inc is fine as
usual. Deleted tests have to be removed no matter what the value of
MK_TESTS is. If that list gets out of hand at some point we could
revisit this, although I'm not sure how you can easily determine the
list of "current tests". AFAIK there is no list in src detailing all
files that are expected to be installed?

My concern is only about the latter at the moment. When MK_TESTS=no,
/usr/tests should not exist at all and, therefore, a "make
delete-old-files" should wipe it. We can do this as usual, with the
functionality in tools/build/mk/OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc to record
all files to be deleted, or we can do something different to avoid
maintaining the list by hand. A simple "rm -rf ${DESTDIR}/usr/tests"
would suffice, but I'm just wondering if that'd be an acceptable thing
to do.

> We would need some way to have "local" tests but that should not be difficult?

You mean tests from ports and/or for manually installed software?
Those should all be somewhere in /usr/local/ and we can easily hook
them into the test suite.  (Hadn't thought about these, but it's
easy.)

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv