Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 15:35:26 -0700
From:      "Mark O'Lear" <Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU>
To:        Vlad Markov <bdqjl43@server4.bell-atl.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ridiculously long dial string

Vlad Markov wrote:

> I can connect to the network at work via user ppp. This is a toll call, so I
> got a Corporate Telephone credit card. To use it I must:
> 1. Enter 800xxxxxxx to access some phone network
> 2. wait for the dial tone
> 3. Enter 0XXXXXXXXXXX to get to the number I really want
> 4. Wait a little bit
> 5. Enter the credit card number and pin.
>
> I can't figure out how to do this. My first attempt was to put it in the dial
> string but the number was too long and the timing became incorrect.
>
> I read about "chat", if that is my solution, I don't understand how to
> implement it.

I don't know about the length, but most modern modems use
an "=" sign in the dialing string to signify "wait for a
dial tone", and a "," to signify "pause", so you could
use 800xxxxxxx=0xxxxxxxxxx,,,xxxxxxxxxxxxx to do what
you wanted.  You might have to play with the number of
commas to get the correct delay.
--
Mark O'Lear             \    e-mail: Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU
University of Colorado   \   phone:  (303) 492-3798