Date:      Sat, 06 Dec 1997 02:15:00 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interested in patches for dhcp in rc.*?

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Well, it's a multi-dimensional problem. The first part is bringing
> dhcp support into the system,

	If you want to make this the first step, then I will retreat into the
background again (on this issue anyway :). I have no C coding ability,
but sh is within my range.  My thinking was that since we have two good
clients in the ports collection, it might be useful to make things
easier for people to incorporate it into their systems.

> perhaps using the NetBSD version as a
> starting point (though their makefiles are a little different, having
> the ability to mix the subdir and port/lib includes the way they do -
> envy :).  Then the dhcp client libraries will intrinsically be
> available to things like sysinstall, which could use it to support
> dhcp configuration of all the IP values during installation. :)

	I'm not familiar with netbsd. FWIW, as far as I can tell there are no
dhclient libs with the ISC version, and the client is about 90k when
stripped, but that includes support for numerous options that wouldn't
be needed for sysinstall.

> Then you add all the rc glue to use it and voila, you're done!
> When can you start? :-)

	Hehehe.. I wish I could help with actual code. I did send in some
improvements for the FreeBSD version of the ISC's dhclient script, and
Justin sent in the patches from our port which they guy from ISC
indicated to me would likely be included. Putting the options in
rc.network aren't terribly urgent, since as long as you get all the
options right starting dhclient from rc.local works. My goal is to
reduce the frustration for those coming after me, but I won't pass up a
more complete solution. :)

Thanks for the response,

Doug