Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 01:19:30 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Broken resolver/named

I have a bit of a problem - that I can only put down to being the
fault of either the resolver library or named.

My /etc/resolv.conf says (in 2.2.2 & -current):

domain lan.awfulhak.org

(I have a local named running as a primary for ``lan.awfulhak.org'')

If I try to resolve an unqualified name that doesn't exist (such as
``x''), the resolver sends two DNS queries (because the first fails).
The first query is for ``x.lan.awfulhak.org'', and when that fails,
it sends a query for ``x''.  The resolver then says "Dunno who ``x''
is, I'll ask someone else.....".

This is a bit of a dumb thing to do (I'm on a dial-up to real life).....

There is a compile-time option for named called "LOCALDOM" that
allows you to say "domain lan.awfulhak.org" in named.boot, and have
the second query answered with "dunno" immediately, but according to
named, only broken resolvers send unqualified names to the DNS.

Soooooo, does anyone know if the latest version of named deals with
this, or if it just keeps the old philosophy of "your resolver is
broken" ?

BTW, I've tried using "search lan.awfulhak.org" in resolv.conf, and
tried both combinations with a trailing ``.'' - makes no difference.

IMHO, the resolver shouldn't be sending the second query.  Should I
look at fixing the resolver ?
--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;