Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:38:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        Martin Hillier <martin.hillier@sykes.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does this mean?

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Martin Hillier wrote:
> I have been trying to sort out a problem with a freebsd machine and linux,
> when I ping from one to the other I get packets sent but no received
> packets, 100% packet loss.

For starters what are these machines IP addresses? In particular are they
on the same subnet?

Can the Linux machine ping the windows machines. You mentioned that you
are able that you can do this from the FreeBSD machine. If you can do it
from the Linux machine then you would have isolated the problem to a
FreeBSD to Linux issue.. if the Linux machine can not ping the Windows
machines then you have a network setup problem (i.e. different subnets).