Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 18:59:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is root's crontab different?

On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Stephen J. Roznowski wrote:

> My question is why is root's crontab entry treated differently (i.e.
> a file in /etc) as opposed to just having a crontab (in /var/cron/tabs)?

	For future reference, this question belongs in freebsd-questions.
Your question is based on an incorrect premise. The crontab in /etc is the
*system* crontab. The root user has a crontab just like every other user.
Personally I think this is a convenience, since I don't have to sort
through a bunch of seperate crontab files for "system users" when I want
to see why something has gone belly up. YMMV

Good luck,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

     Like desperadoes waiting for a train . . .