Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 2002 10:24:33 +0200
From:      Andy Sporner <sporner@nentec.de>
To:        Justin Lundy <jbl@subterrain.net>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Cluster project.

Justin Lundy wrote:

>Definately interested. In particular I'd like to benchmark the actual
>performance of distributed cryptanalysis and/or other CPU intensive
>operations in a FreeBSD cluster environment (prime factorization and
>password cracking). Up-to-date statistics like these would be valuable
>to the security industry because they would demonstrate that future-
>adaptable password schemes like that by Neils Provos are necessary since
>PC hardware and clustering technologies are so cheaply accessible.
>
>I would like to contribute to documentation and code testing.

This is the *other* variety of clustering (BEOWULF).  We are just doing
application failover now and leaving the dispatching of requests to a
scheduler
of choice.  However having hosts that recover from failure makes even the
scheduler's work easier ;-)

In Phase2 this will bring all of this together in cooperative process space.

The ultimate goal is to be very VAX cluster like (it could do all these
cool things!).  If we can surpass this technology--great! (perhaps by
having a nicer os! OOps this could be flame-bait!--please disregard).

Andy